If you want to drive a vehicle legally in India, a driving license is a must, as it acts as an ID proof and therefore it serves as an important document. Not having a valid driving license while you are driving is a punishable offence according to the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. Therefore, it is important to maintain valid information about your driving license.
In case you have moved from your hometown and are residing permanently in some town other than the one in which you grew up. If so, you would be needing to update your driving license. Here’s the procedure that you can follow while changing your address on the driving license online.
Changing The Address on Driver’s License Online
People who have shifted permanently/are residing in a different city for a particular period of time would be needing to change their address on their driving license. There are two ways you can change your address on the driving license. The first option is to change your address online. It is easy and the most preferred option.
The second option is to go to the local RTO to make changes to your address. This option will require a few steps such as filing an application to RTO; obtaining a No Objection Certificate or Clearance Certificate from the RTO that provided you the driving license. Once you are done with that, you can go to your nearest RTO to apply for a change in address.
Documents Required for Changing Address in Driving License Online
- Form No. 7
- Change of address application form
- Clearance Certificate/ No Objection Certificate
- Aadhar Card
- Post Card
- Passport-sized photograph
- Proof of current residential address- bills, Ration card, Voter’s ID, etc
- In case you are a foreigner, proof regarding your presence in India.
- In case you do not possess any of the above-mentioned address proofs you can submit any of these:
- Certificate of caste and income
- If you are a central or state government employee then a salary slip
- Sworn affidavit before a Magistrate/First-class Judicial Magistrate/Notary Public